The opening lines of the book of 2 Timothy show us two important foundations of Christ-centered leaders—they are called by God and formed by family. Listen to this episode to see how both of these effect your leadership some two thousand years after Paul first wrote to Timothy.
Episode length: 25 minutes
Main idea: A Christ-centered leader is called by God and formed by family.
Called by God
- Paul viewed his suffering as an honor
- Both Paul and Timothy, then, were called and set apart by God to lead
Formed by family
- Paul served God with a clear conscience
- Timothy was the result of a lineage of faith
- Your faith was given to you so it could be given through you
- The church is a family of faith
- Were you called by God to lead?
- Do you serve God with a clear conscience? When you think of how you live your life, spend your time, treat your family, or do your job, is there anything that comes to mind that would prevent you from saying that your conscience is clear?
- Are you sure about your group’s faith in the same way? Do you know with sincerity if those in your group who profess to believe actually do? You can look at someone’s life, listen to their speech, and observe how they treat people and see if their faith is sincere. Do the people in your group who say they follow Jesus look anything like him?
- Do you think of your group members and others you know at church like they’re your brothers and sisters, with all that implies?